As a leader, my job has become significantly more challenging since March 2020. In fact, I’m not sure I have the same job today that I had in December 2019.
Work stress has shown up in areas I never anticipated, so just for fun, here’s my shortlist.
- People expect me to give expert advice in fields where I have no expertise. I’m a pastor, not a doctor. I can’t give you medical advice about vaccinations. I don’t have the training, and besides, you aren’t planning to listen anyway. You already made up your mind after reading an article by some self-proclaimed expert you found on google.
- It doesn’t matter what decision I make; someone hates it (and maybe me). The world is polarized. My community is full of vocal people who are polarized. I’m trying to make some decisions about where we go as a group. You do the math.
- Civil discourse has become extinct. I can’t find people who are willing to have polite, rational conversations about complex subjects. So we either avoid it or get mad, rude and aggressive.
- I cannot understand how some people end up believing the things they do. It bothers me. A lot! I get that we are looking for a way to make sense of the world right now, but really? I want to talk about it but refer to #3 above.
- I’m tired of every conversation somehow ending up being about Vaccines, Covid, restrictions, masks or government overreach. Can we talk about something else? I mean that sincerely. Please? Pretty please?
I’m stressed with other things too but enough about me…. what about you? What’s making life particularly stressful for you?
Shoot me a comment below.